Hello and welcome to my favorite post of the year! (Well, except for the one where I pick the Top 10 Books I read in a year but you’ll just have to stay tuned for that one. It’s gonna be a bitch to write because I read soooo many good books this year but I’ll do it soon.) 2015 was a good year for me. A great year for me. It started in Palm Springs with good friends and good times and it will end in Palm Springs the same way.
I’ve done this post every year since 2011 and it’s UNCANNY how every year I learn exactly the same number of lessons as the year. Like in 2011, I learned 11 things and in 2012, I learned 12 and in 2013 I learned 13 and (you thought I was gonna stop at some point and just say etc. but I’m gonna keep going haha I tricked you) in 2014 I learned 14! So, yeah, oddly enough this year I learned 15 amazing and awesome things ohmygawd, you guys!
WHAT WERE THEY?? Okay, fine, I’ll tell you.
- Turning 40 isn’t a big deal. Seriously, I had panic attacks leading up to it and then that day, I was sorta like, ohhhh. Who cares? Writing about it and outing myself as 40 on a major website helped soften the blow, I think. Like, why should I be ashamed of my age? I earned this age, bitches!
- Speaking of panic attacks, I learned that if you have anxiety, a lot of the panic comes from worry about the anxiety itself. I found that having a friend to talk to about it makes all the difference. One friend told me this sage advice: You’re going to be uncomfortable for a while but just know that eventually it will be over and you’ll be okay. I think of that often and, you know what? I’m always okay.
- Do something just because it sounds fun. This year, Tim and I started a web comic called Fuckin’ Adults simply because we wanted to. We’ll do it until doing it isn’t fun anymore. Right now it’s a blast!
- I care about TV. A lot. And that’s okay.
- Cut anything that’s not working for you anymore out of your life. Yeah, it’ll hurt for a minute but then it’ll rock and you’ll be all, oh wow, this rocks!
- This year I learned that I am a mannequin from the 70s.
- Sometimes pain can be emotional. I read all of Dr. Sarno‘s books and reduced my chronic pain almost 100% which is a big reason 2015 rocked so hard.
- It doesn’t take that much effort to feel close to people. This year I’ve been texting and IMing and Facebooking and Instagramming and group messaging my ass off and it’s made me feel closer to friends all over the world. Who cares if I’m now permanently cross-eyed from staring at screens!
- Go see a band you don’t know that well if you can find cheap tickets. You’ll still have fun, I promise. I mean, it’s LIVE MUSIC DUH.
- Do what you really want to do. A couple of weeks ago I finished the rough draft of a novel. Yes, fiction! It’s different than anything I’ve done before and it’s a risk but you know what? It’s been a joyful amazing experience!
- The Dead Milkmen still rock. So hard. High school you was right.
- Show up. In 2015, I made an effort to actually go to things I’m invited to. Still have a long way to go but wowee was I more social than usual. And I didn’t even die!
- On the flip, it’s okay to stay home and read a book. I read double the number of books in 2015 I usually read and I had an awesome year. Coincidence? Nahhhh.
- It’s fun to take your dog to brunch and then make him pose for a photo with your friends. He only whined like 300 times!
- Go ahead and tell yourself you’re awesome. Do it daily. It’s cliche because it works. Trust me, I know because I’m so awesome, y’all.
Well, those are my things. I hope you learned great things too. Love to everyone and Happy 2016!